Our first venue was the 1863 granite Neo-Gothic St. Anna’s Chapel on the campus of St. Paul’s church. With no stage and with seating in the round the 90-seat chapel provides the degree of intimacy for which chamber music was originally intended. Since then we have added the larger St. Paul’s Church as our principal venue, and we continue to take advantage of an eclectic collection of spaces, both public and private, indoors and out, historic and modern, which are available in the greater Newburport community.
Designed by Robert Mills, architect of the Washington Monument, the all-granite Custom House was built in 1835.
Rain location for Music, Storytelling & Puppetry, as well as for Family Concert.
We'll be in the Lower Level Meetinghouse, accessed from the municipal parking lot (Prince Street section).
The lower level is accessible through the church sanctuary. Please ask someone to let one of us know to go upstairs and let you in to use the elevator.
Hausmusik is held at a private residence and the address will be printed on the tickets.
"Byron's Court" is within the Inn Street Pedestrian Mall, across from the Splash Fountain and adjacent to the parking lot.
Multipurpose Room, First Floor
Located on Pleasant Street, Patrick Tracy Square is one of the locations of our free outdoor concerts.
The mission of PAULA ESTEY GALLERY is to provide clients and visitors with the transcendent beauty of contemporary art. In doing so, our homes, commercial spaces and communities are elevated and the quality of our lives improves. We embrace a global range of participation for our art and artists.
The Spring Piano Recital is held at a private residence and the address will be printed on the tickets.
We'll be in the gracious and intimate music room. Parking is available to the left of the house. Those with mobility issues can be dropped off in the circular driveway, right in front of the entry door.
Commissioned and donated in 1863 by the Rev. William Horton, the chapel was designed by architect Rufus Sargent in the High Gothic Style, and built of Rockport granite. In 2014 the chapel was awarded recognition by the Newburyport Preservation Trust for both exterior and interior historic restoration.
Founded in 1711 as a mission parish of the Anglican Church in British American during the reign of Queen Anne of Great Britain, St. Paul’s is the oldest continuous Episcopal Parish in Massachusetts and one of the oldest in America. The current building is the fourth, the third on this site at 166 High Street.
From our origins as a children’s theater to the dynamic, multi-faceted organization you see today, Theater in the Open continually evolves to meet the community’s needs. Under its current leadership, Theater in the Open is delivering on all aspects of its mission — as a professional theater company, as a center for youth arts education and as a community partner with the vision to create art that is accessible to all.
In 2017, Theater in the Open was named the curator for the Gatekeeper's House by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, which officially grants Theater in the Open the ability to restore this historic building that has been our headquarters since 1987. As Historic Curators of the property, Theater in the Open is committed to making lasting, historically conscious improvements to the Gatekeeper's House, to preserve it for generations to come.
The Gatekeeper's House, originally known as the Forester's House, was constructed in 1903 at the southwest corner of the Maudsleigh Estate and served as a welcoming location and landmark to its visitors. The house was designed by William Gibbons Rantoul of the Boston firm, Jacques & Rantoul and is a classic example of American Shingle style. Rantoul’s distinctive use of Shingle style can be seen throughout the remaining estate buildings.
We are grateful to our corporate sponsors for their support.